How might a student with SEN be supported with their transition from primary to secondary?
Making the transition from primary to secondary can be a challenging time particularly for those students with additional needs.
To make this transition as successful as possible the following procedures are in place:
- Head of Year 7 and member of the SEN Development team meet with Year 6 teachers and SENCos of every primary where every student is discussed in detail
- students with additional needs are identified by primary schools and information about their needs is passed on
- students may be recommended for interventions such as literacy/numeracy, break club, lunch club, nurture group
For each student where there are concerns over their transition individual plans are agreed. These plans can include the following:
- visit with parents after College hours
- visit with primary school staff during College hours
- visit with parents during College hours
- additional day at Caedmon College Whitby before full transition day
- summer activities in Caedmon College Whitby
There are additional activities which involve all Year 6 students prior to them joining Caedmon College Whitby such as:
- Science Days
- PE/Games Activities
- Music festivals
- Caedmon College Whitby staff in primaries
- Caedmon College Whitby staff giving assemblies in primaries
- Open Days
- Open Evening
Parents are very welcome to contact the SENCo to meet and discuss their son/daughter’s needs or any concerns they may have.